Friday, February 15, 2008

Debu - 'Don't Turn Back: Along The Rugged Coastline'

Along the rugged coastline my eyes they were fixed
As the tide rolled in, I tell you, my feelings they were mixed
The sea stretched out before me with fathoms of blue
Of the journey that awaited it offered not a clue

My body trembled so, and my resolution failed
My palms were cold and wet, and my lips began to pale
Should I really make this journey, or stay here on the coast?
I considered once again what it was that I wanted most

I lifted my hand above my brow and looked out once again
Scanning the horizon, I tried to see the end
I stood there in the cold wind, it was so very stark
And I pondered deeply this journey on which I would embark

/Ref
Don't Turn Back, Don't Turn Back, Don't Turn Back

I dropped my hands down to my sides and stood there by the water
Thoughts raced through my head of the things I owned, and all my sons and daughters
This journey I must make alone, I must leave them all behind
And in the end I wasn't even sure what it was that I would find

What I needed was a ship to take me across the waves
I also needed courage but I knew that I wasn't brave
My determination seemed so weak as I stood there all alone
But I knew this land that I was in was surely not my home

Something from deep within me, what it was I couldn't say
Assured me that my real home across the ocean it did lay
I knew that I did not belong here, of this I was very sure
Yet I was not certain I wanted to leave as I stood there on the shore

/Ref
Don't Turn Back, Don't Turn Back, Don't Turn Back

This indecision haunted me, but my time was running out
The sea was full of whirlpools and my head was full of doubt
If I found a ship to take me who was there that could sail it?
I didn't know if I'd get another chance, and I didn't want to fail it

A ship is what I needed, for the journey was so long
A worthy ship with sails and mainmast that were very strong
And a captain who himself knew the way and could take me on this trip
Who knew his way through the reefs and whirlpools, and how to guide this ship

Break

As I stood there contemplating, for I'd decided that I'd go
I decided in an instant, but it seems so long ago
There I stood wondering what to do with my feet upon the shore
A man approached and looked at me, he said his name was Noah

He said, 'I've got this ship and I think it's just what you need
And I've made this trip before, so I can make it with some speed
I've seen the people there that inhabit that domain
And I can tell from your features that you are just the same

So I boarded the ship with him and the journey has begun
Some days the storms do rage, and some days there is sun
But he really knows this ship and he really knows the sea
And in the middle of the tempest, I feel tranquility

Break: Don't turn back

The journey still continues but that distant shore is near
When there is a captain like Noah, there's very little fear
The fear there is it comes from me, it never comes from him
He tells me this ship will never sink, and he says it with a grin

No comments: